Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The crucial benefits of failure and imagination in life


Image found here.

Ten years and eight movies later, Harry finally kicks You-Know-Who’s ass for once and for all. Nobody cared the epilogue, 19 years later, showed the same Harry except now with a beard; all of us only focused on staying in the Hogwarts-world as long as possible.

Behind every success story is a story of struggle, and this was no exception. Before J.K. Rowling's success, she saw herself as the biggest failure she knew. Her marriage failed, she was jobless with a dependent child.

Yet, she described her failure as liberating: “I was set free, because my greatest fear had been realized, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter, and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.”

And so her mother’s death transformed into the details of Harry’s loss, and her clinical depression became the soul-sucking Dementors. How's that for a positive change? Hear it from J.K. Rowling self in her inspiring talk:

No comments:

Post a Comment