Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The super cool Ray-Ban Wayfarer


Image found here.

It all started back in 1936 when Bausch & Lomb received a request from the U.S. Air Force to design a sunglass for pilots. The world-famous Ray-Ban Aviator model was born and has claimed the must-have-status ever since.

Inspired by Superman’s alter ego Clark Kent and his glasses, Ray-Ban introduced the iconic black, plastic, thick-framed Wayfarer, also known as the ‘Clarks’. Like it ‘worked’ back then, it nowadays still works as a disguise, like in Hong Kong where you’ll stand out for not wearing one.

Ray-Ban, derived from the English words ‘ray’ (beam of light) and ‘ban’ (to prohibit), literally means to ‘banish rays’. I suppose it works; I have never seen Superman using his laser beam eyes with his Ray-Ban on. Have you?

Being suitable for use at the office yet cool enough for hitting the clubs, the Wayfarer symbolizes the resurrection of the spirit of the era of young and masculine look. For me, it’s the Man of Steel, as I recently caught myself finding a Superman T-Shirt in my very own wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment